Thursday, April 10, 2008

The $225 trash can

Today's mail brought no less than 3 Williams-Sonoma catalogs. This is a store that generally fascinates me the way toy stores fascinate 5 year olds. For one thing, there is the fantasy aspect: perhaps I do need a $170 risotto pan for my next dinner party, prepared by me in my spotless $36 apron and tasted for perfection with my $30 olive wood tasting spoon

Yeah Right.

But what really caught my attention is this $225 trash can. There is a paragraph describing its features, but the bottom line is: It Holds Trash.  I know that trash cans that match appliances and don't scream "ugly" are very appealing. But I'll pay $225 (free shipping!) for a trash can when it comes with a spouse that remembers to empty its contents on trash day. 

I do however need a trash can. And even the plastic models are $15.  For stainless steel, the cheapest I could find was this $40 model at Linen's and Things.  Assuming you could wall paper your house with their 20% off coupons the way I could, that comes to $32 for a 30L stainless steel trash can and a 3liter "bonus" can.  Not great, but not bad either.

Because nobody wants to throw their money in the trash.

No comments:

Google Search Box

Google